Sunday, November 21, 2010

Daily Routine

For me having a daily routine is very important. It means that I start out every session with a game plan, and on days where I can't devote more than a few minutes of quick time, I still come out with a tidy profit.

There's 2 big things that my daily routine offers me:
(1) Sets realistic expectations
(2) Ensures I'm not "lost" making gold



Realistic expectations are a big part of making gold in WoW. The last thing you want to do is stare at your gold total and wonder, "Boy, how am I going to make 50k gold by ?". Whether it's 50k, 500k, or even 100g, managing your expectations of yourself are important.

Taking a brief look at my daily routine, for example, I know that with a little less than half an hour each day, I can perform the following:

- Vendor recipe snatch and resell
- Epic gem transmute x3 and post
- Snatch cheap sky sapphires, cut into solids and repost
- Snatch cheap ore and eternals, craft into Eternal Belt Buckles and Titanium Rods and repost
- Look for rare cat spawn in Ambermill
- Snatch cheap abyss crystals and dream shards, post powerful stats enchants

Whether I'm playing for 15 minutes or 3 hours one day, this is automatic for me. And getting back to expectations, this is important. The climb to a million gold, 500k, the gold cap, or even your first 1,000 gold can be a long ways. Based on my experience over the past 2 months, I know that on average the above activities can pull me in about 500 gold raw profit each and every day.

This isn't going to get me capped overnight, but again, having a baseline of expectations makes earning the rest of my income with glyphs, and a larger dive into my other professions a bit easier. 500 gold a day turns into 3,500 gold a week, 15,000 gold a month, and if I can stick with it, should net me just over 180k through an entire year.

For someone who was happy to make 3k in an entire month not too long ago, 500 a day isn't looking so bad to me anymore. And really, at the end of the day it's not the numbers themselves that matter, it's knowing what your core routine is to fall back on. Having reasonable expectations keeps me from getting frustrated in other markets, and sets a baseline that keeps me motivated.


The other thing that having a routine offers me, is that it keeps me from getting lost in all the varied options that gold making offers. As I'm new to the experience, I definitely still struggle with decisions such as "Do I need a Leatherworker or an Engineer next?", and wondering whether or not I should expand my gem market versus my glyph market. Without a routine I would likely bounce from one new effort to another, with no real path to follow to keep me consistent.

Without being in the Beta, this should also keep me from being overwhelmed come Cataclysm. There will be a whole new host of goods in each of my professions, but it is likely that I can carry over my existing routine today, and simply rank it up to the current level of crafted goods.

So there you have it - my current game plan and my future strategy come cataclysm. What's yours? Are you planning in drastically changing your daily routine come the expansion?

No comments: