Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Cataclysm: Read Patch Notes!

This is going to be short and sweet today - but it's worth reading. Any time patch notes come out or a patch is released, it's important to take a look at what has changed. In some cases, there are drastic enough changes that require your immediate attention. I'm sure everyone is already up in arms about the recent changes to the alchemy mount, but I want to focus on one other smaller, potentially easily missed note.



So about that last entry...


For anyone who's regularly reading my blog (if you're out there!), you'll remember not more than 24 hours ago I made a post about profiting off of those nasty perfect versions of the JC daily cuts.

Well, looks like enough people like myself complained and we walked ourselves into a scenario where they came out and fixed it! Take a look at the blizzard patch notes, you'll see the following:

"The gem cuts Timeless Nightstone, Jagged Jasper, and Solid Zephyrite can no longer create perfect versions of the cut."

Whoops... my first reaction to this was, "Well, crap. Time to offload a bunch of gems and take that blog post down." Rest assured I did the former - I made sure to put up all my cheap gems I've snagged over the past couple of days. "Luckily" for me I only had 20 or so on me as I was a bit late to this realization, so I wasn't invested too heavily in this at all. I was buying fairly close to vendor (9g) value so it was low risk anyway. At worst I'll make my money back.

The lesson I want to illustrate here though is how volatile the game is early on in the expansion. I'm keeping that last post up even though it's now 100% worthless in practical terms, because it shows just how quickly the game can change. Make sure you're always constantly evaluating patch notes, and your stockpile levels. If you're sitting on 20 or 200 gems like I was and read patch notes - you should be able to unload your stock before the masses catch on. But if you're hoarding upwards of 1k gems and/or not keeping up to date on changes, you could soon see your 15g/per gem investment turn into a near vendor price disaster.

Realistically speaking - you're probably not standing to lose or gain too much money either way with this change, but the lesson from this is invaluable! I expect to see frequent and fairly chaotic changes throughout the first few months of the expansion, so make sure you're reading early and often.

No comments: